Thursday, December 18, 2014

Florida in the Winter

For those of you who read my blog, you know that I usually write something every couple of days while we are on the road.  This trip is a little different in that I have been busy working remotely while we are gone.  Welcome to the 21st Century!  I have remote access to my desktop at work which allows me work just as if I am sitting at my desk.  I can read and answer emails, retrieve my voice mail and answer calls, send documents to the printer and do just about anything could do if I was sitting at my desk.  The only thing I can't do is have a "face to face" with a member.  I have been working a bit more than I thought I would, but it's a small price to pay.

We left home on Thanksgiving and had a fuel problem.  We had only gotten about 25 miles so we limped back home and had a friend come over Friday morning to help Doug change the fuel filter.  That got us fixed up, we hit the road around 11:00 and arrived in Indy around 4:30.  We had a short visit with Mom and Bud and headed to my sister's house where we enjoyed the Thanksgiving leftovers that we would have had the day before.  It tasted great!  We visited with her, her husband, my other sister and her significant other.

Saturday morning, November 29, we hit the road and got to just north of Nashville, TN.  We stayed at a nice KOA with the usual cable and free WI-FI.  Sunday morning we hit the road again and joined the mega amounts of traffic.  All the people who had driven somewhere for Thanksgiving seemed to be on the road all at once to make their way back home.  We had planned to stay just south of Montgomery, AL at an RV park called Montgomery South.  When we got there, he didn't have a site available.  At first, I thought he was kidding, but no, he was serious.  It seems that he has quite a few road workers staying there and it's a small park to begin with.  He sent us to another RV park about 25 miles further south.

The park he sent us to is called Sherling Lake Park in Greenville, AL.  I called ahead to be sure they had a site and sure enough, they did.  This park is owned and operated by the City of Greenville.  No cable, but it's a very nice park.  If you're headed south on I-65, I highly recommend it.  Pet friendly and easy in, easy out.  Check them out. Sherling Lake Park

Monday morning we headed out and got to St. Rosa Sound RV Resort in Navarre, FL by 1:00.  We've been here ever since and will be here until January 2.  We have stayed here twice before but both times it was during September.  We're water front again and loving it.


The park has had organized potluck suppers, social hours, bingo and poker and we've enjoyed participating in them.  

Irene with her lucky Bingo dauber

The very first night we were here, I met Becki Oldhippichic Brooks.  We became fast friends and I'm so glad I got to know her.  Becki and I have been to two different farmers' markets, one in Sandestin and one in Milton.  We had an all day adventure to Alabama and back where I bought a Christmas wreath and fresh cut holly.  We also hit the Barnes and Noble in Pensacola that day where I learned that vinyl records are making a come back (I really need to get out more often!).  We've been to the mall in Mary Esther where we were "just going to buy candles" and ended up in several stores.  They had the best Santa at that mall but we didn't get a photo of him.  We've had lunch at the Shrimp Basket where we had some great fish tacos.  We've been to Target and have enjoyed many sunsets together.  I've also gotten to be friends with her little dog Frodo.  Thanks for being my friend, Becki! Here's a photo of us at the "Ugly Christmas Sweater" party.


Because it's December, it's not exactly beach weather but Doug and I have made it out to the beach a few times.  We found this Sandman out there one day.



I've watched every sunrise and every sunset and there have been some great ones.



It's been wonderful so far, we have two more weeks here and we're not missing the snow one bit.  I can't imagine what adventures await us.  


2 comments:

  1. I have been wondering if I had missed your blog posts, I really enjoy them! Have fun you two. We haven't had any snow, so you haven't missed any... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen! I'm going to try to write more often in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete