Saturday, September 10, 2011

Driving Montana

We left Glacier this morning and drove about 430 miles to West Yellowstone.  It's a town in Montana just a few miles outside the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park.

I talked to Mom today and when she asked how long we had been in Montana, I was amazed to count the days and realize that we had already spent 5 nights in 3 different places in Montana.  We will be here 2 nights or maybe 3.  That will make a total of 7 or 8 nights.  Dang.  I didn't see that coming.  But Montana is one of our favorite states out West.  It is Doug's absolute favorite.  He would move here in a heart beat.  Not me.  I know they have very hard winters and besides, my job is in Michigan and I'm not ready to retire yet.

We drove some U.S. Highways that were very scenic.  We also drove about 200 miles on I-90.  The first part of the drive on U.S. 93, we found the following and dedicate this find to our good friend, Erol.


After leaving I-90, we traveled south on U.S. 191.  It's one of the most scenic drives we have taken.  All along the road are different rivers and creeks.  Here are a couple of photos of some places we stopped.




We are settled in at the KOA West Yellowstone.  Free cable and free, fast WI-FI.  This is the third time we have stayed here but it has never been this crowded before.  We're hoping that a bunch of them clear out tomorrow.  Our tentative plan is take the MH a bit north of here and try some fishing tomorrow, come back to the KOA, rent a car and do the park on Monday.  We will see.

Dinner duties call, but before I go, "Coffee and tobacco are complete repose" - Turkish proverb.

No comments:

Post a Comment