Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Day To Relax

Yesterday we drove from the Washington, DC suburbs to Mystic, CT.  Even though it was a Saturday, the traffic was worse than I-94 in southeast Michigan during rush hour.  Where were all those people going to and coming from at 10:00 am on a Saturday?  I'm glad I don't live in one of those major metropolitan areas...too much traffic...too many people.

We needed a few things from the grocery and promptly got lost in Mystic.  We ended up on US 1 (the same one that runs from Maine all the way down to Key West) right through historic downtown Mystic.  This weekend there was a festival called "Taste of Mystic".  Eats and music and lots of people.

Naturally, this being an old seaport in New England, the street was narrow.  The drawbridge came up so that some sailboats could pass through so we turned off the engine and waited.  It was fun to people watch for a few minutes and to see those sideways glances from some folks who must have wondered "Why in the world would you drive such a big rig down this street during the festival?".

We're staying at Seaport Campground in Old Mystic.  It's not on the water, but the campground is quiet and our nearest neighbors are maybe 50 yards away.



Our plan was to stay just one night, but after yesterday's traffic, we decided to stay tonight, too.  A great day to just relax.  I think I will sit and read, watch Doug and the dogs take a nap...


make a fresh pot of coffee and maybe catch up on some laundry.


My mom and step-dad are in Indy this week and they're all getting together today at my sister's house.  I wish I could be there.  I miss you Mom and Bud!

2 comments:

  1. Did you happen to see Old Mystic Village. It's an awesome place to shop!!! I spent many paychecks there. Ssshhh, don't tell Casey I said that. lol

    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete