Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Southern Maine

We arrived in Old Orchard Beach, ME yesterday.  We reserved a rental car for today so that we could make our way up and down about a 20 mile stretch of US 1 to go to the beach and hit some antique stores.  We had a great day.  We headed into town to get a peek at the ocean here.  Very typical Maine beach...some sand....some rocks...beautiful.


It was nice to see the sun today as it had been cloudy for the last 3 days.  The sun felt so warm.  The breeze was strong and refreshing.  It was warm enough for shorts, but cool enough for long sleeves...a perfect day.

We hit a few antique stores between here and Wells.  I found a few treasures.  A great print of poppies in a cool frame, a pyrographic box with painted cherries to add to my collection and a pair of toleware square bowls:


We headed out to Wells Beach for a late lunch.  We ate at Billy's Chowder House.  Clam chowder and a fish sandwich.  The sandwich was so big we could have shared a plate.

I brought Doug and the dogs back to the campground so that I could go back to town to a grocery store for a few items before we leave tomorrow to head further north.  I couldn't resist buying some mini cannoli and a small apple/blueberry crumble pie.  When I got back, new neighbors had moved in and the peace we were enjoying is gone.  They are kind of a rowdy bunch, but hey, we'll be out of here tomorrow, so no worries.

Now for that cup of coffee...

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoyed Mystic. When we lived in Groton, CT I worked in Mystic. It was for Mystic Medical Group. I also had a good navy friend that worked at Mystic Pizza. Not many people know what that movie is. I was pregnant for Nick almost the whole time we lived there. We also camped in Maine for a long weekend. The lobster is very cheep there. I am so glad you are having a good time. Be safe. Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete