Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Trip to the Farmer's Market and Pensacola Beach

On Saturday morning, I decided to check out the local farmer's market.  I had a taste for some peaches and some home grown tomatoes.  I looked it up online, found the location and set out for it.  It was out at the fairgrounds and we had been by there a few days ago, so I knew where I was going.

I got there and noticed a lot of cars.  I thought, "Fantastic!  This will be better than the Saline Farmer's Market!.  If there's a lot of cars, then it's a big market."  I parked and then noticed that a line was forming.  "What the heck, a line for the market?  And it's in a building, so it must really be a huge market!"  The next thing I notice is that it's only men.  Now I'm getting confused.  The market is 3 days a week, so maybe Saturday is men's day and they get a discount.  Then I finally notice that at least 50% of the men in line have gun cases in their hands.  It's a gun show!  No wonder all the men with their gun cases.

As I head back to the car, I ask a man walking towards me if he knows where the farmer's market is.  He says "Sure, it's over there towards the front of the property."  So I get back in the car and head that way.  When I get there, I am the only customer and there are only 4 vendors.  I decided to purchase something from each of them.  From the first I bought salsa, from the second I bought a loaf of bread, from the third I bought bread and butter pickles and from the fourth I bought tomatoes.  The bread is great but the tomatoes taste store bought.  I haven't tried the salsa or pickles yet.

In the afternoon, we headed to the beach for a few hours of sunshine.  Came back and finally got a photo of our site in the RV park.


And another sunset photo.


This morning we decided to take a drive over to the Taste of Pensacola Beach Festival.  Chefs from about 20 of the restaurants showcase their signature dishes and you can try small portions for about $5.00 each.  We had Honey Jerk Shrimp with Island Rice from the Grand Marlin, then Sliders from the Surf Burger and then Blackened Fish Tacos from Laguna's.  The food was excellent!   They also had live entertainment.


The beach is very nice there and with it being Sunday, we thought that a lot of people would be there, but it wasn't crowded at all.



We took a drive out Highway 399 to look at the dunes.





The sand is so white, it almost looks like snow.  The underneath side of the sail on this paraglider said "Pensacola Beach Shark Watch", but he was not over the water.  Maybe it's a joke.

We then headed back into town to ride the 360 Pensacola Beach Observation Wheel.  200 feet up in the air!  It was an awesome view!






Another great day in the Sunshine State!  Hell on Wheels is on TV and there's a cup of coffee with my name on it.


"Coffee is real good when you drink it it gives you time to think. It's a lot more than just a drink; it's something happening. Not as in hip, but like an event, a place to be, but not like a location, but like somewhere within yourself. It gives you time, but not actual hours or minutes, but a chance to be, like be yourself, and have a second cup." ~Gertrude Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment