Friday, September 14, 2012

The Beach, Birds and Butterflies

On Thursday, we went back to John Beasley Park to the beach.  Another beautiful day.  However, the winds have been blowing hard out of the east and the red flag and warning signs were up.



I got my feet wet and Doug went in about waist deep, but most folks were staying out of the water.

We saw a seagull that was missing his left foot.  His leg was there, but his webbed foot was gone.


Today, we decided to try an area of beach that Doug and I had been to the last time we were in Ft. Walton Beach.  It's a stretch of beach on the narrow strip of land just east of here.  It's marked as military, but the public is permitted to use it.  We saw lots of birds, including a heron.  Not sure if it was a Great Blue Heron or not.



It was hot today so we sat for awhile with our feet in the water.



We saw helicopters again today, but they were definitely military.


I have seen more butterflies here than I have ever seen anywhere.  We have even seen numerous ones at the beach.  I finally Googled it and discovered that this is part of the migratory path for Monarchs that are making their way to Mexico and Central America and that the Gulf Frittilary is moving to its winter home in south Florida.  I finally got a photo of the Gulf Frittilary.


We got back and got Miss Jackie to ham it up for the camera.


The dogs and I took a walk down to the bay to look at the sunset and to see the fish.




Jesse loves to walk down these steps every time we walk by them.  He's always looking for fish.

It's been a great couple of days.  I've finished my fourth book and the beach has been fantastic.  Doug has made me a fresh pot of coffee and I am ready for a cup.

"Almost all my middle-aged and elderly acquaintances, including me, feel about 25, unless we haven't had our coffee, in which case we feel 107." - Martha Beck




No comments:

Post a Comment