Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lunch in Panama City Beach

Late Sunday night, it started raining and raining and raining.  It rained all night and all day on Monday.  We watched TV, Doug and the dogs napped and I finished book number 5.

Around noon on Monday, a man pulled into the RV park.  He was staying two sites down from us.  He had a tow dolly attached to his motor home, but apparently had left the car up by the office.  I watched him as he removed the tow dolly and pushed it in to his site.  He then proceeded to back in and much to my horror, he was inches away from a sign.  He stopped in time, pulled forward and tried it again.  After making like a 6 point turn (which really was unnecessary if he had only pulled ahead far enough before starting to back in), he got into his site and promptly caught the picnic table on his right rear side and drug the table along while he was backing up.

He got out of his rig, pulled the table off of his motor home and out of the way and then backed up and over his tow dolly catching it on his rear bumper.  At this point I'm thinking, "why doesn't his partner get out and help him?"  Turns out the man was by himself.  He pulled forward and the tow dolly came loose.  He pushed the dolly farther back out of his way and finally got settled.  I wonder how much damage he did getting into his site.  At first I was stunned thinking about how poorly he parked that rig and then later felt bad for him for having to do it all alone.  I wonder how well I could do it by myself.  I hope I never have to find out.

The rain stopped over night but it was supposed to be mostly cloudy today so we decided to drive east to Panama City Beach for lunch.  We took SR 30A which goes along the gulf.  So many little towns including Grayton Beach, Watercolor, Seaside, Sea Grove Beach, Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach.  I love the names of these small communities.  Seaside was especially interesting to see.  It was developed in the 1980's as a modern Victorian town with narrow streets, picket fences, beautiful colored buildings and lots of pergolas.  There were multiple food trucks made out of old Airstream campers along the main street.  However, there was no place to park so we weren't able to get out and take any photos.  Guess that's one of those memories that will live on only in my head.

We got to Laguna Beach (which is part of Panama City Beach) and found an indoor/outdoor cafe.  Burgers, hot dogs, fish sandwiches and homemade donuts, too.  From the old photos inside, it appeared that it had been there since the 1940's but as it turns out, it was founded in 1971.  Thomas Donut and Snack Shop.  Great burgers!


After we ate, we cruised the beach.  Red flags were up today.  Strong rip currents and high surf.  Do not enter the water.


Several areas have California names like Laguna Beach, Hollywood and Santa Monica.


Our chairs have finally dried out, the wind has died down and the humidity is gone.  We'll make our way back to the beach tomorrow.  It's supposed to be sunny and 83 degrees with low humidity.  I'll start on my next book and soak up some sun.

For now, I'm going to finish my cup of coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment