Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chasco Fiesta in New Port Richey

This evening, we drove to New Port Richey to check out opening night of the Chasco Fiesta.  The festival began in 1922 when they planned a celebration to attract people to the city to raise money for the community library.  Today the festival lasts 11 days and benefits more than 30 non-profits.  It's held in Sims Park on the banks of the Cotee River.



Tonight was basically food and music.  We had barbecued ribs and corn on the cob.


Then we shared a deep fried Twinkie.  I had heard of them, but had never tried one and it was good!



Then we shared a strawberry shortcake.


Each of the different food booths is run by a different non-profit group.  So the more you eat, the more you contribute.  There were funnel cakes, hot dogs, corn dogs, Italian sausage sandwiches, jerk chicken, beans and rice, sweet plantains, gyros, cotton candy, boiled peanuts, snow cones, ribs, deep fried candy bars (including Twinkies), strawberry shortcake and fried bread.   About the only thing I didn't see was coffee!

The entertainment tonight was Native American Music.  There is a Pow-Wow Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Some of the dancers took the stage before the concert.


Then Arvel Bird and his band took the stage.  He is a Native American flutist/violinist.  He's from Arizona and is staying here at the RV park where we are. I listened to him rehearse last night for about 40 minutes.  He was very good tonight, but I think I enjoyed him more last night because it was casual and intimate.


Here's a link to some videos of Arvel Bird playing.  His music is a very interesting blend of Native American, classical and Celtic.


It was a great time.  This weekend, there are many activities...the Pow-Wow, a carnival, a flea market, a crafts show, a parade and a car show.    So, who knows, we may go back again. For now, I'm pouring that cup of coffee that I couldn't find at the festival.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Mary Ann - thanks for the mention! We had a great time at the concert last night. The crowd was great and the weather perfect. Thanks for coming to my rehearsal, too. LOL.
    Blessings,
    Arvel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug and Mary, Thanks for deciding to follow A Camp Host's Meanderings! I like the way you document your travels. Makes me want to be there. I learned about Weeki Wacki World when I was a kid and have always wanted to see it! I'll listen to Arvel's music. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete