Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weekend Happenings and a Rainy Monday

On Sunday morning, the weather forecast was for rain all day Monday and possibly Tuesday.  Although it was the weekend and we knew the beach would be crowded, we decided to head there anyway.  If Monday and Tuesday were to be rain-outs, this could be our last day at the beach.

It was crowded, hot and windy.  We saw 90 degrees for the first time this trip.  I took some photos at the beach thinking my blog post would be something like "Our Version of Where's Waldo", but the photos don't make it look as crowded as it felt.



Maybe I took these shortly after we got there and the beach got more crowded later in the afternoon.  I can't remember now.  We really like it when you can't overhear someone's conversation.  And we could hear plenty.  The north end of the beach was supposed to be good for shelling, so I walked that way.  When I got back, Doug told me that I had missed a seagull stealing his sandwich right out of his hand!  Anyways, it was a great afternoon.

I'm very glad we went because it did rain ALL day Monday.  It started shortly after midnight, rained off and on until around 7:00 a.m. and then at about 10:00 a.m., it started raining again and didn't stop until around 8:00 last night.  I always liked the way rain sounds on the roof , but let me tell you, after hours and hours of rain, it really got on my nerves.  Florida is in a drought and they needed the rain.  I kept telling that to myself...they need the rain...the farmers need the rain.  But after 3 inches of rain, I was grateful that it stopped.

The area where the dogs get walked turned into a mini lake.



Needless to say, they didn't get walked there until after the rain stopped.  It was amazing to watch the "lake" disappear!  I guess that's the advantage of sandy soil.

This morning, the forecast did not include rain (until tonight), but it wasn't exactly going to be a sit at the beach day.  So we decided to head to Howard Park where dogs are allowed on the causeway.  Before we headed there, we went back downtown New Port Richey so that my husband could do one of his favorite things - take a photo of a former Texaco gas station.



Now how would he know that this was a former Texaco station?  By the restroom signs!  He can spot those a mile away.

Out to the causeway we go.  The sun was out and then there were clouds, sunny then clouds, sunny then clouds.  It continued that way, but we sure enjoyed it as did the dogs.




We saw a Great Blue Heron.


A flock of Cormorants.


Doug got his feet wet, but the dogs were not interested in trying out the water.



It was a great last day at the beach!  The trip is not over because this is not our last night out.  Maybe tomorrow is the last night out or maybe Thursday night (if we decide to mosey home instead of killing ourselves in doing a 2 day drive).  But before we leave Florida, we wanted to send all our love to our most faithful blog followers and dear friends, Erol and Susan.  Seeing you guys and fishing with Erol is always the high point of our Florida trips.  We miss you more than you can know.

Now for the last cup of coffee outside in Florida... 

No comments:

Post a Comment