Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day in Florida

We've had a great 3 day stay in Venice.  We are at the Myakka River KOA.  The staff and people are so nice and friendly.  They have a nice pool, free WI-FI, concrete patios and a very nice dog walk area.  It's about a 25 minute drive to the beach, but we would recommend this park simply for the nice people here.

Here's a picture of the dog walk area...right on the river.



We went to Venice Beach yesterday where you couldn't swim because of the bacteria levels in the water.  The beach was nice but no swimming.  And it turns out, you can't smoke on the beach.  All Sarasota County beaches have banned smoking.  Well of course, we didn't see the sign and lit up.  A lifeguard approached us and gave us the low down...it's a $97 ticket if a police officer sees you.  We thanked him for the information.  I researched this on the Internet and it turns out they banned smoking because of the litter and how it harms people, pets and wildlife.  I agree that it does.  What I don't understand is people who would leave cigarette butts on a beach or anywhere for that matter.  Butts are trash.  I never leave a butt anywhere.

Today we ended up at the beach at the Venice Fishing Pier where it is safe to swim.  There were tons of people there.  This photo is before the crowd showed up.


We had a great time and got some more color in our tans.

Tonight, there was a St. Patrick's Day party at the rec building.  I met a lot of nice people from St. Louis, Minnesota and Michigan.  The couple next to us in a 5th wheel, Don and Betty, provided the music.  They are full time RV-er's and I wish I could have spent more time talking to them about the lifestyle.  Here's a photo of Betty with Pappy.


Pappy told me that he's 87 years old.  I guessed him at 65.  He danced for most of the time that I was there.  He's full-time at this park and some people told me he goes on cruises several times a year and leads a very active life here.  He brought some authentic Irish mead to the party and offered me a shot.  I accepted and it was very smooth but VERY potent.  He told me he originally tried it when he was in Ireland visiting a castle.  I really enjoyed it and will have to share a bottle of it some time with my sisters.


This is the park manager (whose name escapes me) and a snow bird.  I believe his name is Richard.  He told me he has bad hips, but he danced as much or more than anyone at the party.  He was having a great time.  He's older than my Dad was when Dad passed away, but for some reason, he really reminded me of my Dad.   

Tomorrow we head to New Port Richey.  We're headed there to check out the beaches at Fred Howard Park and the Tarpon Springs area.  Tarpon Springs has a large sponge industry.  In the late 1890's experienced divers were brought over from Greece to work.  That built a large Greek community and the city has many Greek restaurants, markets and bakeries.  I'm looking forward to exploring there and trying some great Greek food.  I think the Greeks serve an espresso type coffee which I will also have, but for now, my machine brewed will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment