Saturday, March 19, 2011

Exploring The Tarpon Springs Area

We left Venice yesterday morning and drove north.  We crossed Tampa Bay on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  I was vacationing in Florida in May, 1980 when the boat hit the bridge.  It brought back some memories.  One in particular is about my sister, Gloria.  She and her husband were with me.  We were in a cool little cabin on Longboat Key.  I'm sure the cabins are no longer there.  Well anyways, Gloria was about 6 months pregnant at the time, and no matter how long she sat on the beach, she couldn't get a tan and she normally tans extremely well.   We never did figure that one out.  Another memory that just came to me is the Ruby Tuesday's at St. Armand's Circle.  Ruby was a favorite word of ours then, but I can't remember why.

Here are some shots at the rest area near the bridge:



Boy those dogs get heavy when you hold both of them at the same time!

We arrived at our new location, Suncoast RV Resort in Port Richey, in the early afternoon.  While the park is on busy Highway 19, you wouldn't know it.  I can hardly hear the traffic and we are on the front row.  They have free WI-FI (with a fast connection), cable, a swimming pool and planned activities.  We're staying here 6 nights and it will the last of our stops in Florida.

When my ride from Enterprise finally got here, he took me back to the rental agency to do the paperwork and pick up the car.  I was the last customer of the day.  Just before I signed the paperwork, the rental agent says, "How would you like to have that Mustang instead of the Aveo?  It would be a shame to leave that car on the lot all weekend."  "What Mustang?" says I.  He says "That black convertible out front."  Well, jeez, let me think on that one...hmmm..."Okay, how much extra?" says I.  He says "How about $10/day more?".  I say "Yes, please!"  Needless to say, Doug was happy again.  Twice now we've gotten an upgrade on the car.

Here's a picture of our site at Suncoast:


There are lots of trees, it's nice and shady and man is it FUN driving around in a convertible!

Today, we went to the beach at Howard Park in Tarpon Springs.  The beach is outstanding!  It's the weekend, so the beach was crowded.


But we managed to find a spot for us not too near other folks.

My handsome beach bum.
Tomorrow we hope to explore the Sponge Docks at Tarpon Springs, have some lunch and then head to the beach.  Right now we sit here debating on whether to go out to dinner or eat the leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  Either way, I'm definitely going to have a cup of coffee after dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Dig the mustang, looks like fun! Can't wait to try the Mead with you. The beach looks great, I can almost feel the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete