Monday, March 7, 2011

Finally at the Beach!

We left Jacksonville on Saturday morning and drove to Melbourne Beach.  We are staying at the Melbourne Beach Outdoor Resorts of America.  I could have sworn that their listing said they had Wifi, but after finding our spot and setting up, I couldn't find their connection.  Turns out they haven't had Wifi here for about 3 years.  I re-read their listing in Woodalls and it does NOT say they have Wifi.  I guess it was a dream.  I was able to contact the local cable company who came out this morning and set us up with an internet connection.  We are very glad to have the internet back, as I was going through withdrawals.

The resort is very nice, with 3 pools (the beachside one is currently closed for remodeling), a rec hall, laundry facilities, tons of organized activities, tennis courts, shuffleboard courts, gated beach access, a fishing pier on the river and  free cable.  There are 576 sites here.  The place went condo a few years back, so the sites are mostly occupied by park models, with only about 75 sites left for RV's.  Even those sites are owned by someone who has the office rent the site for them when they are not here.

Here's our site:


It rained a bit yesterday afternoon, but they really need the rain here.  I also was able to have a kicked back, lazy Sunday reading, eating and of course my favorite activity, drinking coffee.  Doug was napping when I fixed dinner, so I kept a plate warm for him and he ate later.  Here he is with his dinner companion:



She's such a ham bone!

Before we left Jacksonville,  I met a woman with whom I had only previously known on-line from a card room on Pogo.com.  She was so nice!  We had a couple of cups of coffee, told the abbreviated versions of our life stories and gabbed about life in general.  I am so glad we met!  I hope that some day, I can meet some of the other women with whom I play cards regularly.  

 We also rented a car this morning so we can do a little driving up and down A1A.   Gotta love Enterprise.  They always advertise that "We will pick you up" and they do!  When I had called in our reservation, I asked for the smallest USA car they had.  When I got to the rental location, they told me they had a Dodge Neon.  Perfect!  However, by the time they had finished my paperwork, another clerk had rented it, so they upgraded us at no extra charge to this:


Needless to say, Doug was thrilled!  He went outside a bit ago to turn it around to take this photo and came back in and said "Here's the key ring, but where's the key?"  I said "It's there, it's the squared off end".  For those of you who know Doug, his next comment was "Change...go figure".  I guess I've never seen a key like this before, either.


We're off to dinner at a little place on the beach.  I'll let you know how it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment