Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What Would You Do?

Have you ever watched the show on ABC called "What Would You Do"?  They set up circumstances with actors and see how people decide to intervene (or not).

Yesterday when we got to the beach, there were 2 empty water bottles in the sand near where we were going to sit.  I picked up the bottles and starting walking to the trash can.  As I was walking, I also saw a few other pieces of trash and some cigarette butts, so I also picked them up.  It was only about 30 steps in all.  Just a short walk to the trash can.

After we got our chairs set up, the blanket laid out, the books out, etc., I sat back and looked out at the Gulf.  About 15 minutes later, I noticed this:


Another empty water bottle sitting about 40 feet from us.  I decided to do my own "What Would You Do" segment and left the bottle there waiting to see how long it would take for someone to pick it up.  No less than 70 people had to have walked by that obvious piece of trash over the next 4 hours.  I didn't really count the people.  This is just my best guess.  The beach was much busier than it had been last week.  Apparently, a couple of counties here in Florida are on Spring Break.  A group of three women even set up just a few feet away from this bottle and they didn't pick it up.  As you can see in the photo, it's sitting right behind another group of people and they didn't pick it up.

So when we left, I walked over, picked it up and carried it to the trash.  Beaches are beautiful places.  I don't know why people leave their trash behind and I certainly don't understand why people walk right by trash and don't pick it up.  We are all stewards of the beaches.  The next time you're at one, pick up a piece of trash and throw it away.  It only takes a minute.

Pat and Shelley (Doug's brother and his wife) are also in Florida this week.  They drove over here from Tampa and we went to dinner.  The plan was to got to Sam's Beach Bar in Hudson to eat and watch the sun set.  However, when we got there, Sam's is closed on Mondays.  There's another place across the street so we headed there.  The food was great.  We had peel and eat shrimp and fish.  I took a piece of their Lemoncello cake home and ate it later.  It was VERY good.



We watched the sun go down, even if it wasn't a great place to take a photo.



The view would have been better at Sam's because it's on the beach side of the street, but there's always next time.  Thank you Pat and Shelley for a great night!

Forever: Time it takes to brew the first pot of coffee in the morning. ~ Author Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment